By Electrician in Birmingham on 08/07/2017

Local Electrician in Birmingham: Mr Electric Birmingham uncover surprising figures regarding causes of House Fires

The Daily Mail reported problems with fake phone chargers  below are details we found from the insurance industry.

Over the last year, house fires caused by electrical problems have risen by just over a third, meaning that they now account for more than 25% of all household fire claims in the Britain. Latest information compiled by Insurance’s claims records, show there has been an increase in claims caused by electrical problems.” This means that this category is the second most common cause of household fires, after accidental ignition, and moving above fire spread from another property.

The head man at the Co-Op Insurance company has stated that the increase in electrical fires has “a correlation with counterfeit phone chargers.” As we’ve mentioned in a previous post about the impact of counterfeit electrical products, 2.5 Brits have either accidentally or knowingly purchased a counterfeit electrical item in the last year. It’s difficult to get away from them sometimes as not only are they are so readily available, but they are generally a lot cheaper to buy than genuine products.

These counterfeits are usually made up of poor quality components and very rarely meet our UK safety standards. Being unsafe can not only lead to house fires but can also lead to electrocution and burns when the products fail.

According to the data that Co-operative  has put together, 80 in every 100,000 households will suffer from a fire in any given year, with the average insurance claim for fire being circa £14,000!

“Fires in homes are among the most costly claims to deal with, as in addition to cosmetic repairs, structural damage to the property may also need to be fixed,” Guy commented. He also noted that many people require alternative accommodation if affected by a house fire, as many homes become inhabitable from fire and smoke damage.

This increase in house fires and the availability of counterfeits means that you must stay alert when shopping. Our advice is to always buy from official retailers and to never leave appliances charging unsupervised for long periods of time, such as sleeping or leaving the house. Another handy tip is to not cover appliances when they are charging, such as leaving them under a pillow as they can overheat and cause fires. And ALWAYS check for EU and UK electrical safety marks!                                                   If you’re not sure on any electrical products or need any advice, contact the experts here at Mr. Electric, we’re more than happy to help!

Mr Electrician Birmingham, Unit 9 Ariane, Tamworth B79 7XA, Covering Birmingham, Dudley, Walsall, Coventry and surrounding areas

 

Back to Home

Share This